Sigil Prep class of 5e

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2018 11:45 am  #1

Quest for wildspace

The next day, Rae sits on the edge of the Crow's nest of Kaz's ship-shaped school of sea faring.  She was eating something called a cinnamon muffin from the school cafeteria.  She found it delicious, but still had enough to share with Scuttle.  "Ye always be knowin' where to find me, don't ye," she smiled.  She gave him the last bite.  Then reached in to the satchel snapped to her belt atthe hip.  Pulling out the golden sextant and her journal, she spent some time taking measurements of the same landmarks she noted from Azer Dorm, only from Kaz' school.  Something was a bit..."off" ... about the sextant.  Sigil wasn't helping either.  She knew the ring wasn't infinite starboard to port.  And she had noted a "horizon" decently enough, especially from tall buildings and Crow's nest.   But something still seemed "off" and she couldn't place it. 
  She looked at Scuttle. "I don't have anymore. Ye can be leavin' now.". But she knew he wouldn't.  She reached into her satchel. "Oi, what do ye know? I did grab another piece of bread." And she tore off a chunk and tossed it to him. "It be a big day today," she told him.

Rae Quetzali 3rd Level Rogue/ 1st Level Bard. Still a Parrot Pirate

4/25/2018 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Quest for wildspace

The bird squawks noncommittally and continues to eat.

4/25/2018 3:05 pm  #3

"Aye," Rae says, "Ye be tellin' it true." She smiles as she tosses the bread as far as she can, watching Scuttle launch in the air to chase it. "Ye be takin' care if yerself, savvy?"

Then she takes off into the air herself, flying into Sigil East, a path she's traced for several days now. She lands in a clearing in the pedestrian traffic, as near to Ye Olde(y) Mappe(y) Shoppe(y) as she can without landing on top of someone.  As she walks in to the shoppe, the familiar naval bell rings at her entrance.  She notes with a smile that the golden sextant that was displayed...just right over there...is no longer on the shelf, and pats her satchel. 
  She's wearing her normal clothes once more, this time with her long naval jacket (sleeveless of course). And she begins to browse once more. She closes her eyes and breathes deeply the scent of old parchment, and dusty sheepskin.  She looks at the maps on the wall, a new purpose, looking for anything that could be a map of the stars with the [i]intent of flying[/] through those stars instead of mapping by them.

"Ahoy!" She calls out after a moment, when neither if the owners enters the shop proper after a moment.

4/25/2018 9:37 pm  #4

A wisened old scriviner* enters the room from the back, lowers his round little glasses, and smiles. "Ah, welcome to Ye Oldy Mappy Shoppy. Come back for more, have you?"

*(I've forgotten how I've described the main proprietor before, but his replaces any previous description)

4/26/2018 12:42 am  #5

"Aye, Sr. Mercator*," Rae says.  "Today I be looking for something very different.  I just learned about spelljamming, sailing through wildspace.  What do ye know about that? And do ye have any maps of the stars for sailing through not sailing by?"

*Mercator is a placeholder name til Pat names him. But Rae would have found out his name by now and would use it.

4/27/2018 11:11 am  #6

"Oh, well," Mercator says, "by means of novelty, perhaps." He begins sifting through some maps. "Not a large call for star maps in planar cities, but... hmm." He holds out a book 'Key to the Core Worlds.' "Very basic, I'm led to understand. You might have some luck talking to Old Flintlocke at the Explorer's Club, though."

4/27/2018 1:33 pm  #7

Rae takes the tome from the proprietor, sets it on a table and flips through it.  "Floe-gist-INN. Phlogistan," she sounds out of he unfamiliar.  "That be what Charlie meant by 'shell'!" She decides reading about crystal spheres in a sea of...stuff... called phlogistan.

As she looks, Mercator's other words sink in.  "Who is 'Flintlocke'? And how might he be knowing of Spelljamming?"

4/27/2018 6:36 pm  #8

"Oh, Flintlocke is a retired explorer. He used to captain a Spelljammer, after retiring from the Giff navy. Nowadays, he just sits around his club, sharing stories with other former adventurers. I wouldn't, um," he stammers a bit, "take all of them at face value."

4/27/2018 8:14 pm  #9

Rae looks up with excitement. "He used to be the Captain of a Spelljammer?  That sounds brilliant!  Thank ye!".  She hands back the book.  "Thank ye again.  Ye be a good friend."

4/27/2018 10:12 pm  #10

Pulling out the Map of Sigil East she had purchased on her first day in school, Rae finds the Explorer's Club.  Securing the map back in her satchel, Rae takes to the air and flies to the club at a leisurely pace.

(If nothing happens along the way) she lands outside the doorway to the club, and walks up to the door, eager for the description to follow of this home to many exolorers, relics, and tales...and maybe a drink or two.

Board footera