Sigil Prep class of 5e

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2018 12:18 am  #51

Re: Soda Shop on the Borderlands

Doen ponders the situation for a bit, or least it looks llike she does, before speaking. "He hasn't been himself? I see. Well I have a few questions like, what's your name? What is soda? If you are selling dogs why don't I hear barking? And do you have any suspects about who may have turned Mr. Barley human?"

2/22/2018 12:32 am  #52

t'Nee hops, landing in front of Mr. Barley. "What do you mean you're closed? We've traveled all the way from Sigil Prep to sample your famous Cream Soda....whatever that is. All of your shipments have been replaced by some crap that tastes like bullywugs. What's going on!?" 

t'Nee, lvl 3 Grung Monk, Way of the Tiny Dancer, SP
Miles, FFH
Seabeard, lvl 2 Dwarf Barbarian, Pirates

2/22/2018 12:43 am  #53

The serving girl is overwhelmed by Doen's questions, trying to get an answer in sideways. "Elissa... It's a sort of bubbly flavored... um, not dogs, hot dogs, they... Mr. Barley... what? He's always been human."

Mr. Barley stops as the little frogman lands in front of him. "Yes, well," he says, "I don't know what the 'crap' you speak of is, but I haven't been able to make my soda since Marley disappeared." He sighs very deeply. "You see," he says, expositing without provocation, "when my father and his brother passed down the recipe to me and my brother, I was only told a portion, and Marley was only told another portion, so that Barley Brothers was always made by brothers. Neither of us has the full recipe, and thus can't make it alone. And then Marley vanished, and with him, the portion of the recipe I don't know."

2/22/2018 12:53 am  #54

"Have you tried making it based on your portion of the recipe and seeing how it turns out? Brothers are overrated." t'Nee stands his ground, expecting an answer. He folds his hands in front of himself impatiently, which somehow has the effect of making the tiny little spear affixed to his back look slightly more menacing than it had a moment ago. (Intimidation 14)

Miles, FFH

2/22/2018 12:57 am  #55

"I... but... you can't just make part of a cream soda."

2/22/2018 1:08 am  #56

"Whyever not? What's the worst that could happen? Have you even tasted Hermit's Choice Premium Ginger Ale? I think we still have a bottle someplace. It tastes like Bullywug piss, so I doubt half-cream soda could be worse. Who the fuck is this supposed Hermit who supposedly chose this crap, anyway?" t'Nee does not move. 

Miles, FFH

2/22/2018 1:12 am  #57

Doraad tried to recall how this kind of situation would have been treated back home. In the end, the cultural archtype was just too powerful: this was a lost secret of a previous age. The sort of thing that would renew the fortunes of a culinary empire and bring all potential competitors to their knees. Such a quest would have been treated with the highest degree of reverence, and a warrior that embarked on such a quest not only achieved great personal honor, but did so knowing that what he retrieved had satisfied his duty to his clan and forebearers. The fact that this was about soda did not really change things.

It sure made him feel silly, but even if the rest wasn't true, the group had already wasted enough time and money that heading back without the danged soda was equally so. Therefore Doraad pestered Mr. Barley with several questions:

"What happened to Mr. Marley? Did neither of you or your father leave backups in case one of you died young? Do either of you know of the orcs that live nearby or a local hermit or their proclivities for drink? And most importantly... if we help you find the recipe, is there any of the soda that has already been produced that we could purchase once supply is no longer an issue? "

2/22/2018 2:50 am  #58

While Doraad and T'Nee ask (mostly) Mr. Barley questions Doen continues her own questioning of Elissa, because Elisaa was nice to them. "Do dogs not bark when they;re hot? And didn't you say Mr. Barely hasn't been himself? What else would that mean?"

2/22/2018 11:50 am  #59

Elissa continues to try to keep up with Doen. "No, the... they aren't actual dogs. They're sausages. 'Hot dog' is just what they're called. And I meant, Mr. Barley is in a bad mood since his brother vanished, not that he became a different person."

Mr. Barley himself answers the questions freely, if somewhat bitterly. "I have no idea what this Hermit's ginger ale is, but Barley Brothers Cream Soda is made with pride, and we don't take half-measures. Marley disappeared a couple of weeks ago, and no. Per father's wishes, we never compared our parts of the recipe." He sighs. "As for the Hermit, there was an old man living in a tree very near the Caves of Chaos. More a nuisance for adventurers than a soft-drink mogul, but I suppose he did know the orcs that live in the caves. And yes, if you can help me find the missing portion of the recipe, you will never pay for another bottle of cream soda again. I'll supply you for life."

2/22/2018 2:17 pm  #60

t'Nee sighs and lets the man pass. 

"Well guys, I guess we've got a hermit to find." He stops and thinks. 

"Oh hey Mr Barley! Any more specific directions to find this hermit's tree?"

Miles, FFH

Board footera